The ‘Old Course’ at Lahinch is frequently referred to as the ‘St Andrews of Ireland’. It looks out on the ever-changing Wild Atlantic Way on the South West Coast of Ireland. One of the reasons for the similarity between St. Andrews and Lahinch is the close proximity of both golf course and town. The club is one of the oldest golf clubs in Ireland, established in 1892 and will celebrate its 125th anniversary in 2017.
The natural terrain is used to the optimal advantage. Undulating fairways and rolling greens, towering sand dunes that showcase the magnificent views across Liscannor Bay and beyond to the Cliffs of Moher. There are an abundance of exceptional golf holes, most famously the “Klondyke (Par 5 – 4th hole) and the Dell (Par 3 – 5th hole) both will prove challenging for even the most experienced golfer!
Lahinch was originally designed by ‘Old’ Tom Morris of St. Andrews and extensively revised by Dr. Alister MacKenzie in 1928. In more recent times Dr. Martin Hawtree added his wisdom and brilliance thus ‘restoring the MacKenzie course’.
Under the supervision of Dr Hawtree, the following improvements have taken place at Lahinch Golf Club over the winter season.
- Re-turfing of the Dell green and surrounds, introducing a mixture of fescue and bent grasses to improve the quality of the putting surface.
- Re-turfing and tee extension of the Dell hole.
- Re-turfing and new tee complex of the 6th
- Continued work on the introduction of grass pathways throughout.
- Bunker maintenance and continued work on revetting bunkers and where necessary steps to allow access in/out of deeper bunkers.
- Construction and development of the short game practice academy, located on the old Army Barracks site across the road from the main clubhouse. This will include chipping greens, practice bunker area and putting green facility.
- Phase 1 of the short game practice academy is expected to open by mid-July. Phase 2 will include an indoor practice facility.
Lahinch Golf Club is the perennial home of the South of Ireland Amateur Championship and currently No. 4 in the Golf Digest-Volvo Top 100 Golf Courses in Ireland. Lahinch has received world-wide acclaim and is consistently ranked among the worlds greatest and rightly so.
JD Golf Tours have been proud members of Lahinch Golf Club since 1968.
For further information to include Lahinch Golf Club on your golfing itinerary, please contact email@example.com or visit our website for suggested golf trips http://www.jdgolftours.com/destinations/ireland/sample-golf-tours-of-ireland/.